Tuesday 20 April 2010

Simply Golden


Would you guess that this door, which in itself is quite simple, is just a side entrance? Yep, it is. It belongs to the very famous and beautiful Municipal House (Obecny Dum) which is known for it's art nouveau paintings, murals, stained glass work, restaurant, architecture, furniture, etc. If you know this building, you know that the main entrance is 1000 times more exotic, however, if you want to see that door, you'll have to look it up on the web (lots of pictures of it exist on various sites) because I prefer to show you the lesser-known side entrance, or rather, the service entrance. I realise that it's hard to imagine a service entrance having such a beautiful, ornate green and gold art nouveau arch to protect it from the rain, but believe me, I walked by this door nearly every work day for seven years (when I worked in a building just across the way from it) so I can tell you from those years of seeing this door that I only ever saw it being used as a service entrance. Oh what a very lovely service entrance it is!!

See the gold work? The 'P' in gold and the other touches of gold both in the front of the arch and in the sides of it. And the door handle is wonderful...simple, yet beautiful.

2 comments:

Wanda..... said...

This is an impressive entrance. Everything you mention is special, plus the kick plates and the overhead lamp! I will have to google the Municipal House's main entrance!

♥...Wanda

My Mind's Eye said...

What a beautiful well loved door.
I cannot imagine the front being more beautiful than this....
Madi and Mom