Wednesday 14 April 2010

At the Blue Lion


'U Modreho Lva' - which is what is written above this door - literally translates as 'At the Blue Lion' though, unless there is a blue lion statue somewhere higher up on the wall of this building, I'm a little confused because I don't see any blue lion anywhere in the door frame or it's ornamentation!

Granted, the door is very charming and the sculptural work above it is fabulous...but WHERE IS THE BLUE LION?! I'll just have to go back and see if I can find that blue lion, but until then, take a look at the richness of this door, it's frame, it's wrought-iron work and, of course, the arch above it. I would be happy to walk through this door each day!

4 comments:

Remington said...

Stunning! Let us know what you find out about the name....strange....

Jacqueline said...

That is a beautiful door; I like the wrought iron work and the numbered address in the ceramic frame.

Malyss said...

And if it was the name given to someone who used to live there?..An old rich man, with a white hair with blue reflections?..The door is very richly decorated!

My Mind's Eye said...

Indeed that is a mystery. I love the ornate carvings.
Madi and Mom