Sunday 21 February 2010

Old Church Door


One week! I've been posting for a week which brings me back to Sunday and since many people go to church on Sunday, I thought I would post a door that belongs to a church. In all honesty, I'm not sure exactly how this door is related to the church as it was not even on the church itself, but on a side building, but in my humble opinion, I believe even if it no longer belongs to the church, it once did...take a closer look at the carvings in the stone frame and tell me what you think.


I can't figure out whether this door is genuinely old and all of its knicks and gashes are the result of a long and important life or if it had a shortish life (less than 100 years) and was battered AND had the misfortune of having its locks and handles changed several times. I guess the only way to really know would be to understand the original function of the space behind this door, but since I don't have that information, I will just have to like this door - complete with all its scrapes and patchworked wood - as it is. The ironwork appears to be new, but these things do have to be replaced from time to time so I won't hold that against the door. I do like its little pivoting leaf over the keyhole...such modesty!!

1 comment:

Malyss said...

I'd say it's an old door which was repaired..It's simple and beautyful.