Friday 26 February 2010

The Big Money Door



Big money: big door...and we are looking at one, big honkin' door! (I'm sorry, though I haven't used the adjective 'honkin' in, oh, forever, I had to use here because it just seemed to fit!) No, this building isn't any the Czech Federal Reserve, but it is a bank and since the building is really big, I'm going to go with the idea that there is a lot of money inside it.

Take a good look at this gorgeous door...imagine that the door handles are at, oh, say the 5 foot mark (approximately 1m60), what could be the distance between the door handles and the top of the door? 10 feet (3m30)? Big honkin' door.

I am in absolute awe of this door. Seriously. It is like a silent, gentle, handsome giant. It's such a big giant that to get this first picture I had to stand in the middle of the street. Just the same, I still couldn't get the entire door frame so I had to take this second picture.


Let's get down to details: look a little closer...do you notice something odd? No?


Ok, so get even closer (and check out the incredible woodwork while you're there)...do you see it?


No keyhole! This is clearly not the door the last person out of the bank has to shut when the work day is over (though it humours me to imagine someone doing so!). But surely you already guessed that! Look at those handles - they are purely symbolic - as if they were put there to say, 'yes, you can come in this door'. But a word of warning: don't bother trying to open it using those handles because they don't turn. FYI: during banking hours these doors stand wide open!

NOTE: If you are in the neighborhood of this building, I would highly recommend going inside...it is absolutely breath-taking!!

2 comments:

Malyss said...

Difficult to choose what is the most fascinating: the size, the details, the iron work, the wooden work!
I like the way you introduced the door to us;
Sure, only a bank could afford such a door!

My Mind's Eye said...

I love all the intricate woodworking...and the building is very pretty too!!! Everyday the door of the day is my favorite until the next day.
Happy Weekend,
Madi and Mom